Hosting a farewell party is all about being organised. From having the card signed to the roses ordered and delivered, we’ve got a great list of tips to help you hold the warmest send off for a special friend or family member:
- The venue- You want to host the party somewhere where you can decorate and have everyone attend without worrying about space if you are thinking about having lots of people. If you don’t have the budget however to host the party in a function room at a hotel or club, then you may want to consider having the party at your home. It means no closing hours, you can start preparing when you want, and it’s extremely convenient, especially for the host and considering you will be doing most of the work, it only seems fair!
- The guest list- Discuss the guest list with the person you are hosting the party for. There is always going to be people that you’ve left off or perhaps don’t know that they’d like you to invite.
- Purchase the card early- You want to avoid as much as possible having people sign the farewell card on the night. Get as many people to sign it beforehand to avoid having to spend the night badgering people to see the new decor in your bedroom (to sign the card in private).
- Music- Music is very important to parties because it often sets the tone. Make sure that you take the time to get a play list going on your Ipod plugged in to your speakers. It can really lighten the mood and get people in the spirit to have a good time.
- Finger food- Keep it light and simple. Having the event catered for means that you don’t have to worry about cooking and cleaning up, and you can even have people serve the food and drinks for you which is a bonus. It’s definitely worth the extra to have this organised so you can enjoy the night too.
- Gift ideas- It’s always a good idea to get one large gift from everyone. Present the gift towards the end of the evening in front of everyone. Saying a few words is not a must, but is a nice idea. Order some roses online and make sure they arrive on the day. Then you may want to give them something they can have with them always on their travels such as a pendant and a necklace. Flowers and jewellery always make ideal farewell gifts whether you are sending someone overseas or they are leaving your place of business after many years.
Hosting a farewell party should be fun. As long as you put in the time to plan accordingly and make sure that you don’t leave everything up to you on the night, not only will everyone have a great time, include the person you are fare-welling, but you’ll also get a chance to mingle and enjoy yourself.